Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Job work in Process - Workplace Assessment Done!!

Yep the title pretty much sums it up, I finally had my workplace assessment done today!! I feel a lot better now as this was something that needed doing and I feel like I can 'still work' at this office. I met up with R (OT funded by Work Bridge) at my work along with M who is one of the Co-Managers there and we discussed options for a workable workstation for me and that was suitable for the other staff on the day's I'm not there.

My Solution 1 was good and the two Co-Mangers would be able to work off the raised desk BUT R (OT) said it
involves to much maneuvering in my chair to get from one point of the desk to the open window where I greet customers and she said I shouldn't have to do that. She said that finding desk raisers for the height I need might be a problem as I need more height than what the desk raisers give. Back to square one of finding another solution.

R came up with the idea of getting a corner desk and I said I can't sit at corner desks with a curve in the middle of it and I drew her a picture to show her what I meant and also saying I wouldn't get close enough to the desk as it would curve over my lap basically.

R said the best solution is to get a corner desk 'without' the curve in the middle and get it custom raised as this will cost less as well. R said an electric height adjustable desk is costly and Work Bridge will not fund it unless it's the only way. Headset for phones and reacher/pick-up stick were discussed as well and she agrees that I need these.

So basically:
1: R will write up a report and do whatever else is involved in her part and send that to Work Bridge, this will be done in the week.
2: R will then contact me to say she has sent the report and give me any other updates that she's found.
3: Then I wait for Work Bridge to contact me about their final decision. If I haven't heard from Work Bridge in after a week, from hearing from R saying she sent the report, I'm to contact Work Bridge. (R said she doesn't know the time frame of when Work Bridge will contact me after they get her report, but she will write down it's fairly urgent)

I asked R about how I get the equipment etc and she said with the desk she will need to order that and get the desk custom raised by some people, who she goes through and then the desk will be delivered and installed by those people. R said to M (my co-manager) that the Community Centre will have to have the other desk moved and make sure the space is clear for the new desk. But R will most likely contact her when all this will take place.

R will also come and see me at work to make sure it's all working and if any changes or more adjustments are needed and that things are working for me.

I may not start work for 2 - 3 weeks depending on how long this process goes. But R said once funding is approved, equipment shouldn't take long to get.

I feel much better now that I had an OT that totally understands what I need and has the knowledge of what will work better for me and know where to get certian equipment without paying a fortune. *big smile on my face XD*

No comments: