Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Job work in Process - Community OT Update

I have contacted everyone I know that might be able to help me and all of them have referred me to Workbridge un-aware of Workbridge's new changes. I have also checked with a the organizations I'm a member with as they might be able to provide me with an OT that works there if they have one.

Disability Resource Centre (DRC): I talked to a friend who works at the Disability Resource Centre (someone who has used Work Bridge for their work and again was shocked to hear Work Bridge won't help till I try elsewhere) who gave me some OT contacts. Only one of those OT's maybe able to help but I'm waiting to hear from them on Friday.

CCS: I contacted another friend who works at CCS who also has a physical disability and used Work Bridge for their work and again were surprised to hear what I told them. They have no Workplace OT's available.

MDN: I've also contacted the Muscular Dystrophy Branch Northern (MDN) and talked to them (another friend who has a physical disability and used Work Bridge) about Work Bridge and where I can find an OT to do a workplace assessment or someone in that Profession. MDN found it hard to believe that Work Bridge won't help me as my first source of funding for equipment. MDN contacted Work Bridge in another area and checked this out and was surprised to find out — that if someone was currently on a benefit, they have to apply to WINZ first as Work Bridge are what they call themselves 'last resort' for funding. If I wasn't on a benefit it be a different story. We found this really strange as Work Bridge are there to help, yet they are putting another barrier in front of us, before we can actually get into the job.

My Community OT: Only does home and home equipment assessments via Ministry of Health (MOH)

No comments: