Friday, August 19, 2005

~*Part 1 - My Wheelchair Seating Process*~

Part One - I got a new powerchair in February and also needing new seating, a cushion and a back cushion. This might be hard for some people to understand due to not knowing wheelchair technology but I will try my best to give you a picture of my long seating process, please bear with me

My new powerchair is called a TDX 5 - has Tarsy Seating System with Electric Tilt/Recline and Electric Elevating Legrests.

Since the TDX Tarsys Seating System 'seat base' comes 'Standard Flat', it does not have the option of adjusting the seat base to be angled to suit my needs. I need the rear of the seat base to be lower than the front.

Anyhow due to this seat base being flat I am having to go from my current Jay 2 Deep Contour Gel cushion (has another gel pad on top due to pressure sore I had a year ago) to a Custom Made Foam cushion to get the seat angle I need and the comfort I need.

On my Arrow (old chair) I had the ASBA adjustable seat and had the rear lower than the front. The Seat to Floor height at the Front is 19" and at the rear it's 18".

I was not keen at all to go to a foam cushion. I said that I don't want to have a sweaty bottom in the summer, foam gets smelly and mouldy etc. I was very concerned. The custom tech person's came and did an accessment and measured it all up. I told them and my therapist excatly what I didn't want from foam and also the seat cover had to have a slippery cover so I could transfer and slide myself back on the cushion. These are very important to me as I am Independent. They took it all in and could see I was worried. I was told that the foam has improved over the years and they use memory foam.

I got my new foam cushion 2 weeks after this meeting to try for a week. I transfered onto the cushion and tried to slide myself back onto the cushion which was really hard due to the cushion being to soft. I got really sore within an hour so I tilted the chair back, then I had to get out of my chair as I was in too much pain. I wrote down everything that wasn't right and needed improving and they took the cushion back the next day.

I got my foam cushion back, chest harness and a new seat belt. Took awhile to get the seatbelt and chest harness setup. I don't like wearing the chest harness as I can't do a lot, but I will use this mostly in the van on long trips. I then tried the cushion and it seems better than it was, it needs some more foam at the front. I have sat in the cushion for over an hour and I'm not sore, just some pressure on my heels. This is because the front of the foam cushion is still too low, need's more foam.

No comments: