Thursday, July 21, 2005

~*Life with a Physcial Disability*~

Life with a physical disability can be a challenge at times along with many barriers every day, but life is always something to enjoy. You only live once, so enjoy every moment of the day, who knows if tomorow will arrive. Yes, I have a physical disability and use a powerchair for my day to day mobility. I have a Neuromusclar condition which is slowly progressive. I don't dwell on my disability, I get on with life, that's why I'm here...right.

During a normal day I have to deal with some barriers like changing a light bulb which is easy for some. I have to wait till an ablebodied person comes over and ask them to change it for me. I sat in the lounge a couble nights without light lol, just use my tv as a light hehe. Other things are when the smoke alarms decide to go off due to burnt toast or the steam from the kitchen or shower, I can't turn the silly thing off, just have to let it ring and ring till it goes off. I get used to this and it's just something I cope with.

I love shopping..of course..and I love to spend money. I don't window shop..what is window shopping lol.. I used to do my groccery shopping on my own, I would hold the trolley with my arm and use the momentum of my powerchair to keep it rolling next to me, using my hand to steer it. People would move out the way sometimes to help me get past, some would stop and look at me, so I would speed up with my chair, let the trolley go and grab the front handle bar of the trolley so I am wheeling behind it, which is harder for me. I ask people to reach items for me and most are willing to help which is really nice of them. I now shop with my Dad as it's a lot easier for me and quicker. I always do my shopping after my wheelchair sports.

Just some things I have to deal with day to day in life, but I don't let that bother me. I enjoy life and live on just like any of you out there, we are the same, just physcially different.


No comments: