Saturday, November 05, 2005

~*Job Hunting & It's Challenges*~

Having a Physical Disability doesn't stop me from getting a job and earning my own living like the rest of you. I like to meet new people and get off the benefit as much as I can. Some people think we (those with a disability) sit on our butts and live off benefits! well this isn't true! Basically some disabled people don't have an option, they are not able to work, yet there are some disabled people that do work.

;;;;Job's I have Done;;;;
My first paid part time job I did was working at a 'Course Information Centre' at New Zealand University. I worked there only for a year and it was good to meet new people. I was able to help students and give them information on the courses they were interested in.

I was then working at the MDA (Muscular Dystrophy Association) for just over 5 year earning my own living, meeting new people, enjoying my work and getting out of the house. MDA had more disabled staff members working than able-bodied staff which was good. But due to MDA getting into financial problems, MDA got rid of most of the staff. This included me, and to me this felt awful. It felt like this was the end of my paid job life as finding another job is a huge task.

;;;;Job Hunting Challenges For Me;;;;
Finding another job is hard enough, just as hard as able-bodied people. It's not just having to find a job, there is a lot more to it than that for me. Once I find a job, I have to make sure the building is wheelchair accessible and has a wheelchair bathroom. Kind of hard not being able to go to the bathroom when needed, let alone keep up with my fluids. Then I have to sort out my transport to and from work, as I rely on Wheelchair Hoist Taxis.

Transport: Basically I've found a job, access is all good, and then I inform my taxi driver I need to be at work at 9am (which is a pick up at 8.30am) and I need picking up at 2.30pm. I get told by the taxi driver that I will have to fit into their school run times. The taxi driver informs me that he will pick me up at 9am as he has school runs in the morning (this isn't suitable for me since I need to be at work at 9am) and he will pick me up in the afternoons between 3pm-3.30pm after his school runs (so I have to wait..long day). So basically I have to change my work hours to fit in with these taxi drivers, and most of them are ALL doing school runs morning and afternoons. I then have to get two quotes off these taxi driver's and hand them over to Workbridge who pay for my transport to and from work as I can't afford to pay for my own transport.

From when I lost my job at MDA, I'm jobless now and at home trying to find another job, living off an Invalids Benefit which covers my bills and food costs. I don't have any money left to go out and socialize as much as I used too, when I was earning my own living. I want to go back to work somewhere but I don't want to go through all this hassle it's stressful and hard work.

I'm sick of having to do all this, just to get out there and work. Life should be simpler...I find a job, I can use a taxi at the times I want and not have to battle everything. I just want to find a job and go and work and not bother with all the above!!

1 comment:

::Zissy:: said...

maybe you can find something in computer graphics? you are getting so good and also look into going to school and they will pay for that as well. I know that you will find something and you will know it is right for you because everything will just fall into place. :)
Hugs, Zissy